Thursday, December 28, 2006

Over Time Anyone?

So tonight the company that I work for, (no I can't name them it's against one of our many HR policies) had their website updated. Now for most of you, you may think that's got to be pretty easy. Well it's not. It's an orchestrated event... not a well orchestrated... but orchestrated none the less.

What happens that us good ol web peoples are told by the bigger web people that all of the items that we've been working on for let's just say the past month can now be put on the live site. Mind you some people don't keep a list of what hasn't been put on the live site yet of the work they've done... but those of you that know me well know I'm a lister. I list everything... either in my brain or on paper even in my email. Lists are your friends. They help things go smoother.

So I thought.

So tonight the launch was to start around 6:30 we thought. Which when loggin in I found an email letting me know I could start "launching" my pages. Fine and good. I go down the list of page numbers that I've created, enter the number, click launch. Then I start to work on a few links that I couldn't change until my part of launching pages was done. Something tells me to look at the pages I launched to make sure everything is honky dory... ughhhhh.

Dead halt. Hold up... everything is wacked out!

I email my contacts and ask them what's going on. Ends up that a file wasn't deployed. Basically what that means is that everything I just launched so nice a quickly has now mucked up any pages that I updated. Shoot!

Okay... we can get that fixed. Whew. In the mean time I will go and work on my links that need updating, at least I wasn't wasting time, right! Well that was easier said than done. Ends up that when I am remote connecting to my computer at work from home to "double click" on something to open it doesn't work... you got it... I've got to right click and select open on each and every item that I am updating. Pain. Well this is still a problem because I can't technically "select" a PDF without opening it.

I call into a trusty know it all. She figures it out within a few minuets of trying things. Whew! Great I'm on a roll again. Go go go. Done with the links.

I get an email to check the pages that were new to see if things are working now. I get to checking and everything is working great. Yeah... I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I wrapped up at 8:20 p.m. Guess I'll be leaving work early tomorrow by at least an hour if not more! Yippy!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are able to take off early today! Nothing better than starting the New Year early!

    ReplyDelete