Monday, March 05, 2007

Turning 90?

I don’t think I will ever turn 90. I can’t see it happening… but… I do know someone who is turning 90 this week. My Grandma B.

(Her Grandkids... Left to right: TJT, JB, Grandma, MB, PJM, and me)

She and my Grandpa lived in the town where I grew up on the lake. They had two houses there, but I really only remember the 2nd house. I recall these mirrors that went from ceiling to floor in the living room, and a built in cabinet in the hallway where all the old toys were that my sisters had played with, and probably even my dad and uncle. I remember using their paddle boat on the lake and picking off the layers of the birch trees in their backyard. And yes, these are the Grandparents with the Santa wrapping paper.

They moved to Florida when I was in 4th grade I think. I could be totally wrong about that date… but anyways… They moved into this old folk’s community. I remember being there and wanting to go in their outdoor pool. Mind you I was about 10 and was coming from Wisconsin to Florida in the winter… of course I would go swimming in the outdoor pool! But Grandma said it was too cold to go swimming outside. Instead I rode a bike that was either theirs or a neighbor's all around their village. I didn’t have a clue where I was and was sure to watch where I turned so I was sure to make it back to their house. Especially since I knew them as Grandma and Grandpa… there were tons of Grandma and Grandpa’s in the community!

My Grandma moved back up to Wisconsin after a ton of hurricane’s hit Florida… she’s living in an old folk’s apartment complex and has the heat up to 90 degrees! I hope I’m exaggerating, but I’m not sure since I was pretty lightheaded while I was in there due to the heat!

When I visit next I’ll be sure to take her out for a “cold, cold beer”! A true Wisconsinite!

No comments:

Post a Comment