Monday, July 17, 2006

Issue 101 of "the dress"

Well Friday as I sat at work I decided I would run into David's Bridal to make an appointment to get my dress altered. I had planned to run in there before I had an appointment at 5pm in South Minneapolis with a jeweler for my wedding jewelry. Now mind you, I just wanted to make an appointment.

I walk into David's and am greeted by the greeter at the front desk. I tell her, "My dress for my wedding is in and I need to make an appointment to have it altered". She tells me to follow her back to alterations and that she is going to get my dress for me to see. She stated that I should wait for someone to come out to schedule my appointment with and that they will be with me shortly.

So I stand... waiting... (for those of you who know me... you know this is a big issue for me. I hate to wait.) I look at the lady sitting in a chair outside of the "sewing sweat shop". Looks like she's waiting for someone too. Hello does anyone work here? Of course people work here... and they're doing their work... hanging up dresses... ripping out seams.... measuring fabric. I peek my head in the door to the "sweat shop" and a few heads look up but go back to their work like they didn't even see me.

The front desk lady comes back up with my dress and the two bridesmaids dresses that we with mine. She hung mine up in a fitting room and asked if I wanted to try it on. I asked... is there time for that? She said of course. I told her that I wasn't picking up the bridesmaids that they were coming into to get their alterations this next coming week that I did not want them. She states that would be no problem but to let them know when they come in that I have already signed for them and that the sales associate will not be able to print out the form. She stated also that someone will be right out to assist me. Okay... I'm pleased. I told her I needed to run out to my car for my undergarments and would be right back in. No problem she stated. When I returned a lady had arrived with a little girl and was now waiting in line for help. I decided that I would let her do the hanging out while I have my dressing room door open I would get my dress out of the plastic and the slip too.

As soon as I looked up again there was a lady from the "sweat shop" helping the woman with the little girl. I jetted over there and stood right by the door... making a new line so someone would help me next with setting up my appointment. The sweat shop work #1 went back into the sweat shop not even acknowledging me. (Okay... I'm a big lady... you can't just miss me!) Just then... sweat shop worker #2 walked out of the sweat shop... here I thought she was going to assist me. She asked if I had been helped and I stated nope, I just want to make an appointment to get my dress altered. She looked at the calendar and called sweat shop worker #1 over. They spoke in some language that I didn't understand and then sweat shop worker #2 left. Sweat shop worker #1 told me "jus a min-et" as she took a little flower girl dress over to the woman with the little girl. They signed some paper work and left.

Sweat shop worker #1 came back to me and said "you get married when... " I stated my wedding date is August 19th and that I wanted to set up an appointment to have my dress altered. She said... "Mon-day, Tu-day, Wen-day, Thur-day, when?". I asked when are you available...

At this point for some reason she switched the subject and said... "where your dress?". I pointed at the dress unwrapped from the plastic and stated, "right there. It just came in and I was told I should try it on". Sweat shop worker #1 walked over to the fitting room... "okay... you try on... I help you". I thought to myself... okay.... so I guess we're doing this today? I confirmed with sweat shop worker #1 and she stated yes. So what do I do... I actually think that she is going to help me. I go in the fitting room... change into the slip and have my undergarments held up to myself thinking... I'm ready... come in.... I peek outside the door. No one is around. I close the door... she must have ran back into the sweat shop and will be right back. I wait... (again... not a good thing for me to do!). I peek my head out once more. Again. No one. I pull out my cell phone to see what time it is since I'm in Richfield and I have to get to South Minneapolis by 5 pm for my appointment... (hey wait... wasn't I here just to make an appointment I recalled!) I had a little time yet. I put on my tee shirt and still had the slip on and stepped further out of the dressing room. Sweat shop work #2 was helping a bride all dressed up and putting her veil on. How sweet...where is sweat shop worker #1? No where to be found... I'm done.

I took off the slip... and put on my pants, real undergarments and tee shirt. I flung open the door. I looked one last time for sweat shop worker #1... she's no where in sight and I will now re-plastic my dress and slip. Of course... as soon as I am finished with that sweat shop worker #1 arrives. "I here to help you will you dress... why you not have on?" I said loudly, "I needed help and no one was around"... heads started to turn in my direction... sweat shop worker #2 was still helping the bride with the veil... they both turned, that bride had two friends with her... they turned. The lady who was seated in the chair turned... and the woman who she had been waiting for (new bride) turned also of course.

Since I had everyone's attention I stated "put my dress back where you found it, I will call to make an appointment when you can help me" and left the building... nearing tears. (Ohhhh I felt like a bridezilla!)

I went out to my car stopping for no one. I got to my car... took a deep breath. I turned the car on to start the a/c. I picked up my phone and called the store. I told the cheery front desk lady that I needed to speak to a manager. She replied, "she helping a customer right now, but I will see if I can find someone else who can assist you". She came back a little later and stated, "she's still with that customer and no other managers are here yet, can I take your name and number and have her call you back?". As I was already turning onto 35W heading North to South Minneapolis, I stated, "No. I will call back. But instead, can you go back to alterations and take the lilac and white wedding gown out of the fitting room and put it back like I wasn't even in the store? Put it back where it was before I came in. My last name is B -o-r-c-h-a-r-d-t first name Kim. I'll call back to speak to a manger. Thanks".

Whew. With that taken care of I call Lisa (bridesmaid) to tell her what had just happened as she was thinking of getting her dress Friday night also. I tell her the whole saga as Anna (other bridesmaid) is trying to beep into my line. I keep talking to Lisa giving her every detail as she is doing some stuff for the MN Bridal Shower that was to be the next day. At the end of the story Lisa states that, "Anna's going to call to see if you would pick up our dresses and bring them with you to the shower tomorrow so we can get them altered at the David's near us". Ahhhhh! You mean I have to go back to David's TONIGHT and pick them up... ughhhhhhh.

So I drive to my jewelry appointment and drive home. I tell Jerome the story and then tell him that I have to go back and get the girls dresses. So... I get back in the car and head to David's after dinner. I'm greeted by no one. Oh this is not a good sign. I see the lady who helped me when I first ordered my dress... she tells me to speak to the ladies at the front desk, that they will assist me in getting the bridesmaid dresses from the back. So I stand in line... again. There is a couple in front of me with a toddler. She's purchasing her wedding gown and someone is ringing her up. Another lady is working at a register trying to find something when she realizes that I'm still standing in line and finally asks if I have been helped. Of course not! I haven't been helped here all day... oh I wish I had said that. But instead... I tell her that I am here to pick up two of my bridesmaids dresses. She asks for my last name and I spell it for her. She states she can't find them in the computer... and I state I've already signed for them this morning... she starts to get in a debate with me as to why the sales associate would print it out if I wasn't picking them up and realizes that she should just go back and look for the dresses. As she goes to the back the greeter table lady from this morning notices me and says, "weren't you here this morning? You left your dress here". I gave her a look like No kidding! I told her that I stood back there and no one took my appointment request, and I was told I would be helped with getting my dress on and no one was around to help me. I stated I will call for an appointment but now I need to get the bridesmaid dresses.

The sales associate came back with the two dresses, she handed them to me and walked away. There was no thank you for placing your order through David's and have a nice day, no that's all you needed or was there something else... nothing. So I wasn't sure if I had to sign anything or wait for anything... if they were going to bagged up or what... I stood there another two minuets or so when I finally asked another sales associate if there was anything else I needed to do. She stated nope... you're free to go!

JEEESH! They all need English and Customer Service 101 with the exception of the front table lady!

Where is my Jennifer Lopez wedding planner when I need her?

3 comments:

  1. GRRRRRRRRRR! That makes me so mad...wish I were in MN I would have been more than happy to stand in line for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work. thnx!
    »

    ReplyDelete
  3. This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
    »

    ReplyDelete